Paint like a Pro
Interior painting can dramatically increase the value of your home. It also provides an atmosphere created just for you. It can however, be very expensive. Follow these tips to get a professional product.
- Remove pictures from the wall and cover furniture with plastic. Cover the floor with a tarp.
- Fill nail holes, cracks and imperfections with joint compound.
- After sanding, roll over the repaired areas with an oil primer. This provides a stipple like a previous painted surface
- Tape baseboards and trim with blue painter’s tape. It often helps to use a putty knife to push down the edges of the tape
- Using a good quality brush, trim the edges of the room. Start just below the edge to be trimmed and move the brush slowly until you reach the trim. The bristles will bunch up and give the user advanced control.
- Pour paint into a paint tray. Load the roller by moving it back and forth until the roller has an even amount of paint. Sometimes it helps to attach a small pole.
- Apply paint to the wall like a “W” shape, approximately 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet. Fill in the rest of the “w” creating a rectangle. Repeat the process above and below the area until you have three roller width rows completed floor to ceiling.
- Continue around the room until the entire room is painted
- On the final coat draw your roller from floor to ceiling in a single line down. This prevents flashing
- Remove the painter’s tape.
Things You’ll Need
- Plastic sheet and tarp
- Blue or green painter’s tape
- Joint compound
- Sanding sponge
- Paint tray
- 3/8 inch Paint roller
- Good quality paint brush